Friday, July 9, 2010

Disciple Makers: Mom and Dad

Dueteronomy 6:6-9
"And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."

The Family is the most basic setting for discipleship.

My parents are disciple-makers. They raised us children with an understanding of the Bible and Christianity. We had many conversations about God and how to interact with people while sitting at the table and on the couch. They gave up soo much of their own time and interests in order to invest in our lives....and now they are doing it for their grandchildren.

Two things I am most grateful for in the way my parents discipled me.

1. We always had family meals. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner...around the table with no tv or other electronics distracting.

2. They set a great example of ministry and service. I have seen my mother studying her bible MANY times. My mom and dad are both active in church and serving...and they don't seem to feel like they are going to "retire" from ministry! :D


I am praying that God will work in my heart to be selfless like my parents and give up my time and energy to disciple my own children in the future. And I pray that we all would ask good questions and love our parents, siblings, children, and family well.

Let's go make disciples!

No comments:

Post a Comment