Sunday, June 13, 2010

Are We There Yet?

One of the best places for good conversation is the table. There is something magical about food and how it opens up good communication. I haven't quite figured out what happens when a few people sit down around a table with dishes full of food. But, I will concede, it is good.
Today was one of those "table-talk" moments. The particular table for this conversation was at a wedding reception. I was sitting with my mother, two other ladies, and a teenage girl. I know, I know - That had potential! At first, the conversation was the normal small talk. How is school? How is family? How is life? Somewhere between the guacamole and wedding cake, though, we got talking about life changes. I set down my cup of punch and perked up. I was especially interested in this conversation because this was a topic of conversation at the Hime Home a couple times.
The topic, more specifically, is how we never really "arrive." We often have this notion that life is full of corners. One day we will turn a corner and "be there"...we will have finally "arrived." I have often felt that after I graduate from college I will turn a corner. Maybe marriage? First real job? First child? Next real job? First home? Well, I have lived 22 years and have seen maybe two major "corner-opportunities" arrive...and fly by. High School graduation. *zooom* College graduation. *zooooom* Well, I'm not there. I haven't arrived. I'm a little different but definitely not there. And it was the concensus of the middle-aged ladies at the table that life isn't full of corners. Life is curvey, zig-zaggy, just plain odd. Even the other women still feel like they haven't arrived.
The end of the conversation was the real epiphany. One lady said "Well, we don't really ever arrive...and maybe we won't until heaven." Wow. I had agreed previously with the idea that I won't really ever turn a corner because something else will happen. But the thought of a longing in our soul to "arrive" or "turn-that-corner" may actually be a God given longing for heaven. There is one corner in life and we will arrive at everything because of the marvelous grace of our Lord Jesus Christ! One day we will see Jesus face to face and we will have arrived. Something in our souls will click. I will wake up and "be there."
I want to stop living like I will arrive at something on earth. I want to set my eyes on the perfection of my faith in eternity. It takes some of the pressure off of the season changes in this life. So, I won't be there when I get a real job because there will be somewhere else to go. I won't be there when I get married because there will be somewhere else next. Set my sights a little farther...cuz when I see Jesus, there will be no where else to go. I will have arrived.

Moral of the story: If anyone ever said don't talk with your mouth full...listen to them. That's just good manners. But don't let that stop you from talking at the table! :)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Yes, Amen, Amen...
    LOVED this post!~ Thanks for pointing me even farther ahead.
    Hugs!!
    Gi

    ReplyDelete