2 Thessalonians 2:16-17
May the Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our father who loved us
and by His grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope,
encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.
And before you think I am special - All the girls received a flower and card :
I just returned from a ten day crash course with the Navigators for training. I call it a crash course for two reasons: 1. We had blitz training on funding, evangelism, boundaries, budget, etc and 2. because I crashed. I went into the week still in shock from graduating and moving away from all who I knew and loved in North Carolina. I did not realize how comfortable I had become around those people...until I was placed in another setting. Somwhere in me I was excited to meet new people. I was excited to do this wonderful ministry on campus. But, I was still so terribly afraid and sad. And toward the end of the week the emotion came to a climax. I was taken back by fear of nothing in particular but everything in general. I was completely overwhelmed.
Over a couple of days the Lord allowed me to be overwhelmed but yet He continued to strengthen me enough to stay the course. The Navigator staff and the community of believers were very encouraging to me. The Holy Spirit was also ministering to me through His Word, through books, and through songs. I read in Luke 9 about the man who wanted to return and say goodbye to his family. Jesus said that if anyone puts his hand to the plow and looks back he is not fit for the kingdom. I knew that the Lord was putting my hand to the plow on Miami of Ohio's campus. But as I was looking back and seeing the people and places I was leaving, I was becoming more and more disheartened and afraid.
On the drive home I was praying through my fear and through my sadness. And two sermons came on my iPod from Tim Keller. Oh wow. The Lord showed me my own heart as in a mirror. Although my identity is shaken by sin and sorrow I do not need to be afraid because the Gospel speaks peace and acceptance. And although my heart is grieved from a move across the country I do not have to mourn the fact that I am grieved because the Gospel speaks hope.
Here is a link to Tim Keller's two sermons "Praying our Fears" and "Praying our Tears." I encourage you all to make some time to listen to them both.
http://sermons2.redeemer.com/sermons/sermonlist/6
http://sermons2.redeemer.com/sermons/sermonlist/6
No comments:
Post a Comment